Blueberries and beets makes these pancakes super healthy and delicious. Blueberry Beet Pancakes are the perfect way to start your day!
Beets are so underated. Most people just buy marinated beets in the can and throw them on a salad, but there are so many other things one can do with beets with minimal effort. Perhaps the easiest way to prepare beets is to toss them in olive oil, wrap them in aluminum foil, and roast them in an oven at 400°F for 20-25 minutes.
This delicious and nutricious recipe for Blueberry Beet pancakes uses raw and grated beets (although the beets do get cooked when the batter does on the griddle). And while beets are tasty and easy to work with, they can leave your kitchen looking like a crime scene. I recommend waering gloves to save your manicure anytime you work with beets.
Beets pair nicely with blueberries, balancing the sweetness of the berries with the earthiness of the beets. These pancakes are especially delicious when topped with this Vanilla Blueberry sauce from scratch.
Beets are low in calories and high in nutrients. They fight inflammation and help keep blood pressure in check. They support the digestive system, heart and brain health.
Enjoy this healthy breakfast!
- 1 medium beet, peeled and grated
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup rice flour, all-puporse will work as well
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 pint blueberries, washed and stemmed
- Add the grated beets, egg whites, milk, vanilla extract, and sugar to a food processor and pulse until well blended.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, combine the the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Add the wet beet mixture to the dry ingredients and combine until well mixed.
- Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Pour a scoop of batter onto a preheated griddle. Cook 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 until all the batter is used.