This is the best Cream of Mushroom Soup ever! Super creamy and hearty, perfect for a cold rainy day or when it’s just a little chilly out.
I can’t think of a soup that is more satifying to me than Cream of Mushroom soup. But then again, I am a major fan of all things mushrooms – from eating them raw to topping my pizza to making these 10-minute Spinach Artichoke Mushroom Caps, I can eat them all day everyday.
The key to this soup is to use a variety of mushrooms. White button mushrooms, baby bella mushrooms, portabella mushrooms – a variety is delicious in this mushroom soup.
I pick up whatever varieties I can find at either the grocery store or my local farmer’s market. Lucky for me I live within walking distance to a one of the biggest farmer’s market in the Carolinas so I can usually get a wide selection of mushrooms grown locally and organically.
I use a gluten-free flour and non-dairy milk to make this a vegan based soup. Feel free to use whatever type of flour and milk you would prefer as neither will change the taste drastically.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups veggie broth, divided
- roughly 15-20 ounces mushrooms, sliced (any variety or combination)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, stems removed
- 2tablespoons gluten-free flour (I used rice flour)
- 1 cup unsweetened plain cashew milk
- mushroom slices, for garnish
- Heat the oil over medium high heat in a large skillet.
- Add the onion and cook for 2 minutes until softened.
- Add the garlic and salt and cook 3-5 minutes until the onions are beginning to turn translucent.
- Add 1/2 cup of the veggie broth and let cook another 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the thyme, flour, and milk to the mushroom mixture and stir to combine.
- Let cook for an additional 8-10 minutes until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Add the remaining veggie broth and stir to combine.
- Carefully add the soup to a blender and pulse until blended.
- Top with mushroom slices before serving.