Stuffed artichoke hearts are a delicious and savory appetizer or side dish made by filling the individual leaves and the center of artichoke hearts with a flavorful mixture.
Stuffed artichoke hearts are a delicious dish that combines the unique flavor of artichokes with a variety of savory fillings. The benefits of stuffed artichoke hearts are similar to those of artichokes in general, with the added appeal of the complementary ingredients in the stuffing. Here are some potential benefits:
- Nutrient-Rich: This dish often include ingredients like breadcrumbs, herbs, cheese, and various seasonings, providing additional nutrients and flavors.
- Fiber: Many stuffing recipes incorporate breadcrumbs, which can add dietary fiber to the dish, aiding in digestion and promoting a feeling of fullness.
- Flavor Variety: This recipe offers a wide range of flavor profiles, depending on the ingredients used in the stuffing. This diversity can make them more appealing to a broader audience and encourage the consumption of artichokes.
- Protein and Calcium: If your stuffing includes ingredients like cheese, it can boost the protein and calcium content of the dish, which is beneficial for bone health and muscle function.
- Antioxidants: Depending on the stuffing ingredients, you may get additional antioxidants from herbs, spices, and other flavorful elements. These can help combat oxidative stress and promote overall health.
- Satiety: The combination of artichokes and the filling’s ingredients can create a satisfying and flavorful meal, helping to control portion sizes and reduce overall calorie intake.
- Creative Presentation: Stuffed artichoke hearts can be an attractive and creative way to serve artichokes, making them a favorite appetizer or side dish for special occasions.
- Enhanced Palatability: The combination of artichoke hearts with flavorful fillings can make artichokes more appealing to those who may not be fans of the vegetable’s taste on its own.
It’s worth noting that the nutritional content and potential benefits of stuffed artichoke hearts can vary depending on the specific recipe and ingredients used. While stuffed artichoke hearts can be a delicious and nutritious choice, it’s important to be mindful of portion sizes, especially if the stuffing includes high-calorie or high-fat ingredients.
- 12-15 artichoke hearts (canned or jarred, drained and patted dry)
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a mixing bowl, combine the bread crumbs, grated Parmesan cheese, minced garlic, chopped parsley, salt, black pepper, and lemon zest.
- Drizzle in half of the olive oil and squeeze in the juice of half the lemon. Mix everything together to create a stuffing mixture.
- Gently spread open the leaves of the artichoke hearts to create space for the stuffing. You can use a spoon or your fingers to do this.
- Carefully stuff each artichoke heart with the breadcrumb mixture, pressing it into the spaces between the leaves and filling the center of the artichoke.
- Place the stuffed artichoke hearts in a baking dish. Drizzle the remaining olive oil and lemon juice over the top of the stuffed artichokes.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the foil and continue baking for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the stuffing is golden brown and crispy.