Artichoke broccolini pesto is a delicious, earthy, and unique twist on traditional pesto sauce. Perfect for pasta or as a sandwich spread.
This artichoke broccolini pesto combines the flavors of artichokes and broccolini to create a rich and slightly earthy sauce that’s perfect for pasta, sandwiches, or as a dip.
Serve your artichoke broccolini pesto with pasta, as a spread on sandwiches, or as a dip for fresh vegetables or crusty bread.
Artichokes and broccolini are both nutritious vegetables that offer a variety of health benefits when consumed as part of a balanced diet. Here are some of the benefits associated with these vegetables:
- Rich in Antioxidants: Artichokes are packed with antioxidants, including quercetin, rutin, and anthocyanins, which help protect cells from oxidative stress and may reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
- Digestive Health: Artichokes contain inulin, a type of dietary fiber that can promote the growth of beneficial gut bacteria, improving digestion and potentially aiding in conditions like irritable bowel syndrome.
- Liver Health: Compounds in artichokes, such as cynarin, can support liver function and aid in the detoxification process.
- Cholesterol Reduction: Artichokes may help lower LDL (bad) cholesterol levels, which can contribute to a reduced risk of heart disease.
- Aid in Weight Management: The fiber content in artichokes can help with satiety, making you feel fuller for longer and potentially aiding in weight management.
- Rich in Nutrients: Broccolini is a good source of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin K, and folate. These nutrients are essential for various bodily functions, including immune support and bone health.
- Cancer Prevention: Broccolini, like broccoli, contains compounds such as sulforaphane, which have been associated with a reduced risk of certain types of cancer.
- Anti-Inflammatory: The antioxidants and phytonutrients in broccolini can help reduce inflammation in the body, potentially lowering the risk of chronic diseases.
- Eye Health: The high vitamin A content in broccolini is beneficial for maintaining healthy eyes and may reduce the risk of age-related macular degeneration.
- Bone Health: Broccolini is a good source of vitamin K and calcium, both of which are important for bone health.
- Heart Health: The fiber and potassium in broccolini can help support heart health by promoting healthy blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
It’s important to note that while both artichokes and broccolini offer these potential health benefits, individual responses may vary. To maximize the benefits, it’s advisable to incorporate a variety of vegetables into your diet and maintain a well-balanced eating plan.
- 1 cup fresh broccolini
- 1 cup marinated artichoke hearts, drained
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and prepare a bowl of ice water. Cook the broccolini in the boiling water for 1-2 minutes until it turns bright green.
Quickly transfer broccolini to the ice water to stop the cooking process. Drain and pat it dry.
In a food processor, combine the blanched broccolini, marinated artichoke hearts, grated Parmesan cheese, toasted pine nuts, and garlic. Pulse until the ingredients are finely chopped.
With the food processor running, slowly drizzle in the extra-virgin olive oil until the pesto reaches your desired consistency.
Squeeze in the juice of one lemon and season with salt and pepper to taste. Pulse to combine.
Once you're satisfied with the pesto, transfer it to a jar or airtight container. You can store it in the refrigerator for a few days or freeze it for longer storage.