An asparagus and cheese tart is a savory and satisfying dish that can be enjoyed with a variety of accompaniments for brunch or anytime.
This asparagus and cheese tart is a delightful combination of flavors and textures, perfect for a brunch, lunch, or as an appetizer. The delicate balance of asparagus with the nutty flavor of Gruyere or Swiss cheese make this dish a popular selection for gatherings.
Here’s a brunch menu idea incorporating the tart:
Asparagus and Cheese Tart:
Serve the tart as the main dish. The combination of asparagus and cheese in a flaky tart shell is both delicious and visually appealing.
Mixed Green Salad:
Prepare a light mixed green salad with a simple vinaigrette. Use fresh greens like arugula, spinach, and watercress. Toss in cherry tomatoes, cucumber slices, and a sprinkle of toasted nuts for added crunch.
Create a colorful fruit platter with a variety of fresh fruits such as berries, melon slices, pineapple, and grapes. This provides a refreshing contrast to the richness of the tart.
Herb Roasted Potatoes:
Roast small potatoes with olive oil, garlic, and a medley of herbs like rosemary and thyme. This side dish complements the tart and adds heartiness to the brunch.
Freshly Baked Pastries:
Include an assortment of freshly baked pastries like croissants, muffins, or scones. These can be enjoyed with butter and jams alongside the tart.
Offer a selection of beverages such as freshly squeezed orange juice, coffee, and herbal teas. You can also consider serving a light and refreshing brunch cocktail like mimosas or sparkling water with a splash of fruit juice.
Finish off the brunch with a light dessert. Consider serving a fruit salad or a selection of mini desserts like lemon tarts, chocolate truffles, or fruit tarts.
Remember to set a nicely decorated table with fresh flowers or herbs for a lovely brunch atmosphere. This menu provides a balance of flavors and textures, making it a delightful and satisfying brunch for friends and family. Enjoy your brunch gathering!
For the tart shell:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into small pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup ice water
For the filling:
- 1 bunch of asparagus, trimmed
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pinch of nutmeg
- To make the tart shell: In a food processor, pulse together the flour and salt.
- Add the cold butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- With the processor running, slowly add the ice water until the dough comes together.
- Form the dough into a disk, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface and line a tart pan with the dough. Trim the edges.
- Line the tart shell with parchment paper and fill it with pie weights or dried beans.
- Bake for about 15 minutes. Remove the weights and parchment paper and bake for an additional 5 minutes until the crust is golden brown. Allow it to cool.
- Make the filling: Blanch the asparagus in boiling water for 2-3 minutes until slightly tender. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process. Cut the asparagus into 2-inch pieces.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, heavy cream, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Spread the shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese over the pre-baked tart shell.
- Arrange the asparagus pieces on top of the cheese.
- Pour the egg and cream mixture over the asparagus.
- Bake the tart in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until the filling is set and the top is golden brown.
- Allow the tart to cool slightly before slicing.
Other brunch recipes: